Sunday, 27 December 2020

Looking Back Through 2020 | 27/12/20

Feels like this year is really trying to go out with a bang at the moment, everything in the UK is just sinking deeper into chaos and it's hard to see things getting better anytime soon. I still think there's benefit in the sentiment of 2021 brining a bright new dawn, even if it's just something to keep us going. Reading through lots of 'Best of' lists makes me realise the sheer magnitude of talent and art that's come through in the last 12 months, and I feel saddened I've not experienced it to its full potential - so that's what I hope I can do more of next year more than anything. I'd like to share some of my favourite sonic moments myself - as ever just a personal list and am in no way qualified to be making statements about what is best. That said, I'll back that it's all great music, so listen along if you can (here's playlist link).

Can't Fight (TSHA Remix) - Lianne Le Havas


Melding the sun-soaked sweetness of Le Havas' mellow tones with the eager optimism painted in TSHA's sound design makes for one feel-good chill out. This came out at the start of summer, when we were just starting to be allowed outside a bit, and brings me back to whole days spent in Burgess Park. The suspended chords in the chorus using a loop of her voice is the most technically eye-catching, but all the details are splendid; little bursts of synth melodies here and there, the various tinkling percussion. A heavy sidechain and modest increase in tempo allow for a change of mood from the original track whilst maintaining the basis of its beauty. The whole album from Lianne Le Havas is thoroughly enjoyable, and while this is my favourite thing from TSHA this year, I'd also mention the Griff garage mix which I had on repeat for ages.

Alone, Omen 3 - King Krule

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this track and Anquetil's accompanying video numerous times this year, but here it is again. It's short and sweet, and the instrumentation feels natural, bringing you into an idle haze with the playful swing of the hihat pattern. Guitar holds steady, as bulges of synth chords are interspersed throughout. Archy stays on the softer side of his vocals other then a few delay echoes as you're taken from A to B on this through-composed journey.

Heartbreak - Bonobo, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs



Right back to the 80's and 90's instantly with this one. 'Heartbreak' marked the first release to appear on Bonobo's new OUTLIER records, a signpost for more club-focused sound to come (exciting!!). As such, the strength is in the drums, which feel utterly UK, despite both producers being based in LA. Looping melodies focus on capturing that classic rave euphoria, and a huge buildup from 2:08 gives space for focus on the Class Action sample. Drops are simple but effective, and I love the little breakdown outro - think that will sound huge in a mix.


Lifetime - Romy



From one throwback vibe to another. This time we see a full-on embrace of cheesy Eurodance 90's vibe in an anthem that feels hyperpop and indie simultaneously. It's endlessly fun, a love song that's charmingly naive during every moment the bass bounces through. The cluster of synths are all catchy, but the high-octave motif, ever so slightly off beat that you can hear best from 2:30 is my favourite. It's a bittersweet one; as exciting and wonderful this solo debut from Romy is, it's just screaming to be heard on a dancefloor with your closest friends. In this way, 'Lifetime' is the most representative of how music has felt during 2020.


Everything U Need - Overmono



Definitely wins best artwork 2020. Something dark and gritty to ground this list so far, 'Everything U Need' coats a core detuned motif with a plethora of sharp and snappy percussive lines, like darts shooting in all directions. This is then enveloped again by sustained bass and pad notes, encapsulating the mix with a wall of sound. Setting the bar high for what is a strong EP overall, this title track's spiky exterior would allow it to bring its emotive and introspective interior to an industrial basement setting.


We Once Knew - Jagā



I weirdly had the most profound response to this track while queueing for the gym a few months ago. The emotions in the track and compelling and inspiration, yet at the same time forlorn; as if with nostalgia for something long gone and never coming back. A real tear jerker, the steady march of the break punctuates the soundscape of cloudy pads. We set the scene in order to drop the drums at 1:28. The vocal sample is pitched up and heavily processed, but still feels desperately human in it's tone. As the drums drop back in, we glide through to the end of the track in a state of inward reflection. Potentially my favourite thing I've heard this year, shout out to my friend Rich Rose for showing me this one!


My Gemini - Kllo



One of the standout tracks from a stellar album, 'Maybe We Could'. Combining dance music sonics with emotive pop songwriting, Kllo produce a distinctive and memorable sound with each track that comes out. This one feels steeped in Burial influence; at surface level in the vinyl crackle form start to finish, and looking deeper in how the bassline will enter to transform the tonality of the chords over top. A blending of full lyric line vocals with looping cuts and the voice again sampled for the chords creates unified euphonics with a signature sound.


Reflecting Light - The Avalanches



After a campaign that steadily made its way through the entirety of 2020, accompanied by visuals from Johnathan Zawada, December brought us the release of The Avalanches' 'We Will Always Love You', a stunning sonic journey with a handful of creative collabs. The production aspect of the album is strengthened by the patchwork-style weaving of samples, here seen with Vashti Bunyan's 'Glow Worms' in the mix. It's hard to separate the track from the rest fo the album, but something in the strings and Maitreya's captivating vocals feels incredibly cinematic. This melting-pot of different sounds forms a product that feels futuristic, innovative and yet firmly familiar.


It's Gonna Be Perfect - Kev Sheridan



Kev Sheridan's classical music background is evident in subtle refinements of 'It's Gonna Be Perfect', notably in the 8-bar long melody that loops across the track. Its relationship with the tonality and harmony of the track makes it addictive, and with gradual shifting in its processing remains fresh to the ears after countless replays. Beat-wise, the Berlin-based Irish producer works this break to its limit. The pair of loops, drum and synth, you would imagine to quickly get boring, and yet the space and depth explored so stylishly in the track's mix and arrangement creates a powerful sense of narrative. The rhythm and melody are like two wheels of a bike, in the same constant motion, while taking you on a journey of transforming landscapes.


Black Dog - Arlo Parks



It's been an exciting year for the poetic singer-songwriter from South London, and I've been pleased to see her music stay consistently interesting despite expanding pop success. 2020's highlight for me is this touching plea with a loved one in pain. The lyrics are tender and vulnerable, matching perfectly with Arlo's soft, hushedly rasping voice. There's an ASMR quality in the guitar recording, with focus on the organic sounds of the instrument outside of the musical tones - the friction of the stringers against the fingers, the occasional tapping against the body. The ascending piano notes give a moment of ascension out of the grey melancholy, before letting us glide gently back in.


Alien Mode - Pearson Sound



Here's a fresh serving of intergalactic energy. Pearson Sound's first EP with Hessle Audio since 2015 is consistently effervescent, but this track evokes the call to the dancefloor strongest. Percussive elements, both synthetic and sounds from across the globe, merge into a rapid rhythmic underbelly underneath the variety of synth motifs, all mutating and other-worldly, befitting the track's title. The main sample of 'you're not losing your mind' is stretched and stretched, bringing out the metallic artefacts and is reminiscent of classic UK garage (think 'Ripgroove'). 


Both of Us - Jayda G



I'll admit that I didn't expect this one to impact me as much when I first heard it, but across the months the looping piano chords have cemented themselves in my brain and now any time someone puts this on it gets instant reaction. Jayda G captures the genuine essence of house without attempting imitation. Vocals are dreamy and give a real sense of atmosphere. The huge slowdown from 3:24 right up to 4:30 is quite frankly iconic and I can imagine being a lasting festival memory with ease if dropped at the right moment. Very deserving of its Grammy nomination.


That just about does it, but I feel like I've left out loads still. In terms of albums, there's a few not included within the realms of the above that I think need a mention too. The open of the year saw great stuff from Against All Logic and Grimes. I think Dua Lipa released a pop classic with 'Future Nostalgia', and both SAULT Untitled albums (1 & 2 here) feel incredibly important and stunning listens at the same time. Other highlights for me included Shinichi Atobe's 'Yes' and K-Lone's 'Yelli'. Not to mention, Four Tet's double drop on Christmas Day. I haven't included in the above as they only just came out, but 'Parallel' feels like a refined masterpiece and '871' gives us the full array of his creative experimentation. Anyway, here's to 2021! I hope I'm on a dance floor with you before we know it. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment